4/04/2013

Issue 9: Mos- D

Cover Design: Sp

The Queen

The DJ scene is producing a lot of talented females of late. Every city, every hood has that fiery lady who easily sets the decks on fire, every genre. In G town we got our very own. She goes by the name Mos-D and she is the Lady of Hip Hop decks. She has done lots and lots and lots of sets all over Mzansi, even outside. We caught up with her to find out how she got in this and what her future looks like.


Why & How did you get into the DJ scene? Was it always Hip Hop or did you transition into it?

I had a lot of hip hop music & used to share it with some dj’s & 1 of the dj’s suggested that I should give dj’in a shot…so I started practicing, and soon afterwards I was lucky to get a platform in the form of hip hop Thursday’s, at the former TS lounge (now DJs Lounge), where I could play & get exposed to the crowd. _It’s without a doubt always been hip hop.

What do you think of the Hip Hop scene in Cap City?

I think it’s grown tremendously in the past 2/3 years…now we can have a gig solely for hip hop, unlike before where it would only be house gigs where they would slot in 1hip hop dj … & the talent in terms of emcees is amazing. Of course we still have a long way to go in terms of support for Hip hop; we need to get people to support the hip hop movement.

Which other person from Pretoria, besides yourself do you think is making moves to look out for?

Dj Dijo (featured on our 2nd Cover Issue) who I work a lot with, super talented young man, who taught me a lot of what I know now. Dj Divalash, I’ve never met her & don’t know her personally but I respect her hustle. 

There seems to be a “union” among G-Town DJs, is it important to have that, what purpose does it serve? 

Yes, this is totally pivotal. We don’t encourage rivalry as we are sort if comrades in the same struggle. G-Town is very small; there really is no room for big egos & unnecessary beef.

What has been some of your biggest highlights so far?

Being able to travel as a result of my dj’ing... I’ve been to Botswana, Kimberly, Kuruman, Mafikeng & been able to play with some big names in the industry.

Generally the reception from the majority of the people who appreciate what I do.

The way things have turned out in a small space of time. I’m thoroughly blessed as I’ve only been in the industry for about a year, but have been able to do so much & grow immensely.

What are your short and long term targets?

Conquer the world lol. My target nje is getting myself exposed. Getting myself out there; for the rest of Tshwane, Gauteng, SA to enjoy the music with me.

Do you think Hip Hop has changed for the better?

Some parts of it have changed for the better & some not, but as change is the only constant; we have no choice but to adapt & embrace whatever the changes (good or bad)

Besides being a DJ, what else do you do?

I work for a financial institution in the employee benefits sector. 

Should we look out for a compilation or mix project from you anytime soon?

I’m working on a lil sumin sumin which I can’t reveal now, but u’ll hear about soon. 

What struggles have you come across on your way up?

Not being taken seriously is one of the hurdles I have to deal with because I’m new in the industry & because I’m female which leads to the next question

What do you think of the stereotypes that surround your career because of your gender?

As a female, especially in the male dominated hip hop scene, it can be somewhat challenging. A lot of people tend to take me for granted, it’s almost as if they expect me to fail or play crappy sets simply because I’m a woman.

I practice a lot & I take my craft very seriously, & it gives me great pleasure to see their hanging jaws every time I play & prove their expectations wrong.

Who would you say is “NASHY” 

Nashy I think could be someone super cool, clued up & knows a lil bit of everything & anything. 

Follow her on twitter and add her on facebook

Peace!!!!

TheNASHmag Ed
Tania Moeng



2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You Go Mos-D!!! You are the Future!!!Super proud of you!!!-TLOU

Unknown said...

Good to see Mos-D making her way to the top huh. . . .nore hustle more exposure